BREAKFAST FIESTA 🎉
SWEET POTATO HASH BREAKFAST BURRITO
This is one of those recipes that is quarantine friendly, use what you have, get creative with substitutions, it is a breakfast party after all! The secret to the hash is to get it crispy and sweet with some heat behind it. The rest is blending, scrambling & building your perfect plate! The best part? 95% of this recipe can be found at your local farmer’s market.
SALT TIP: Set the table for breakfast!! Setting the dinner table is commonplace but breakfast gets the shaft. We love to set a breakfast buffet with fresh flowers, fruit bowls & @passthesalt linens & coasters for a beautiful pop of color. Never fails to impress and start the day off bright! ☀️
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil LINK
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium-size sweet potato (sub any potato)
- 2 pineapple wheels (roughly a cup)
- 1 small jalapeño (about a tablespoon)
- 1/2 a red onion (sub any onion or shallot)
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper (sub any bell pepper or vegetable you have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (sub cayenne, cumin, adobo, etc. use any spice you have on hand)
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- 3 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
Avocado Crema Ingredients:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt LINK
- 1 lime
- 1 handful of cilantro (any herbs will do)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs scrambled, a dash of butter & 1 tablespoon milk or water to make them extra fluffy, salt + pepper to taste LINK
- 4+ tortillas LINK
- extra limes, cilantro + sea salt for garnish
- hot sauce
- Bring a small to medium pan to a boil for your potato(es)
- While waiting for the water to boil, in a food processor add in all of the ingredients for the avocado crema. Blend until thick & creamy. Pour into a bowl & set aside.
- Drop your potatoes into the boiling pan & cover for 8-10 minutes. You want them 75% cooked through, the skillet will crisp the edges and finish the job from there.
- Turn a medium skillet (preferably a cast iron) to medium heat for the hash.
- While your potatoes cook & your skillet heats up, make your guacamole. With a mortar & pestle mash your avocados + cilantro to your desired consistency, we perfect it chunky. If you don't have a mortar, a bowl & fork will work just fine. You will need to chop up the cilantro if you go this route. Squeeze in the lime, give it a final mix. Sprinkle in sea salt to taste. Set aside.
- Your skillet will be hot, now you can pour in the oil. Adding the oil to a hot pan VS cold pan prevents the food from sticking. Add in the finely diced garlic. Keep the garlic together on the edge of the skillet to cook evenly & prevent burning. Garlic cooks quickly, a minute or 2 does the job.
- Add in the diced onion. Let that sweat out for a few minutes until it starts to brown & get fragrant.
- While your onion sweats out, strain your potato(es) & let them cool for a few minutes.
- Add the diced pineapple, jalapeño, bell peppers, paprika, salt and pepper to the skillet to begin caramelizing with the onion. Use a spatula to cook and stir for about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn another skillet on medium to low heat for the scrambled eggs. While this heats up, dice your potato(es) & add to the hash. Cook & stir uncovered for another 7 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, break the eggs with a tablespoon of water or milk, some salt and pepper. Use 1/2 teaspoon butter, oil or spray once the pan is hot & pour the eggs into the skillet. Keep the heat on medium/medium low, you don't want to rush it here-- if the skillet is too hot the eggs will cook too quickly and become rubbery. Once you pour the eggs in they will begin to cook immediately. Using a spatula begin pulling the cooked outer edges in towards the center of the eggs. Uncooked eggs will flood the area you just pulled back. Once scrambled, transfer to a covered bowl or plate.
- Now for the tortillas. Transfer the hash to a large covered bowl & use the same skillet to crisp your tortillas to your liking. As you finish each tortilla, cover them in a breathable linen-wrapped bowl or plate to stay warm & not dry out.
- Grab a plate & build your own breakfast burrito. We paint the tortilla with avocado crema, make a bed of hash, a spoon of scrambled eggs & top with guacamole & hot sauce.
- Savor every bite!