KID-FRIENDLY ZESTY GUACAMOLE
Guacamole is friendly in general, but this recipe is all that and a bag of chips!!! Kid-approved and keeps the little ones busy, while you make the hard stuff, aka margaritas. Keeping the kiddos happy is the ultimate hosting tip!
SALT TIP: Use blood oranges if they are in season (winter to early spring, December through May in the USA). The aroma is more intense than a normal orange, with a hint of raspberry, and a tart finish that better mimics the classic lime recipe.
This recipe serves 4 little ones.
- 6 avocados cut in half (pit in)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium blood orange (any orange will do)
- 3 tablespoons of pomegranate seeds
- 2 x handfuls of Siete Sal y Limon (salt and lime) tortillas chip. We also love Ranch or Fuego flavored chips.
- Each kid will need a bowl, fork, spoon, and their own ziplock bag.
- Before their hands are dirty. Have each kid grab a handful of tortillas chips and place them in their ziplock bag. To make the chip sprinkles, they can use a wooden mallet or simply crush by hand and set aside.
- Divide the cut avocados between the kids so they have equal halves to work with. Keep the skin on and pit in! Skin on allows for a better grip and pit-in will be a fun challenge to get out with their (washed) hands.
- Once they have the avocado in the bowl, scooping out any excess with their spoons, they can begin mashing with their forks.
- Squeeze in 1/2 an orange, mix until the liquid is no longer visible.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds for an extra juicy crunch.
- Top with chip sprinkles!