Get ready for a little bite of Tulum! Drenched in mezcal, pickled pineapple and caramelized with honey, these tacos take less than 20 minutes start to finish. That's a vacation all in itself!!
SALT TIP: Use pickled pineapple (or a dash of apple cider vinegar) to get the full balance of salt, heat, acid & fat. Your guests (and tastebuds) will thank you.
Makes 4 tacos
- Corn tortillas LINK
- 1 pound of shrimp 16-20 count
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 a medium-size onion
- 1 cup pickled pineapple (or add 1tbsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 small serrano pepper (about a tablespoon)
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp raw honey LINK
- 1/4 cup mezcal
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp adobo
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 avocado
- handful of fresh cilantro
- cotija cheese for garnish
- Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Once hot add a dash of avocado oil.
- Add your finely chopped garlic cloves to one side of the pan, this assures they cook evenly and do not burn
- Add the butter, paprika, adobo, chili powder, salt & pepper. Stir often while the butter foams up, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, honey, pineapple, peppers, onions & mezcal to caramelize together.
- Let the shrimp cook 2-3 minutes each side. Remove.
- Turn a medium skillet (preferably a cast iron) to medium heat. Once hot, add a dash of avocado oil (a tsp will do). You can do cook 1-2 tortillas at a time, roughly 30-45 seconds each side, until they start to brown and crisp-up. Set aside covered or in a warmer to keep the heat.
- Continue mixing the mezcal honey veggies, a wooden spoon works best. You want your sauce thick and sticky, about 5 minutes after you remove the shrimp.
- Once your sauce is ready, throw your shrimp back in, give it a good stir and take it off the heat.
- Time to assemble: 2-3 shrimp per taco, a heaping spoonful of the mezcal, honey veggies. Top with cilantro, avocado & Cotija cheese.
- Repeat, because everyone will want seconds!